Thursday, January 2, 2014

Thursday Throw down - Interactive Long Division


I am linking up with I'm Lovin Lit for Thursday Throw down with a few things that I did to help make long division easier for some of my kiddos.  

We started using manipulatives to help them fully grasp the concept of how bigger numbers are divided into smaller groups.  I gave the students base ten blocks and a few easier division problems to start with such as 36/3 and 48/4.  They drew boxes to represent the divisor and then divided the blocks into each box.



Later we moved on to more complex problems that required them to regroup the tens into units, but of course I forgot to take pics of that :/ !  But, hopefully you get the idea.

And. I know that the standard algorithm for division is not introduced until 6th grade in the Common Core, but I have a lot of parents who teach it to their kiddos anyway, so it is easier to show them in class as well.  There are so many steps involved that a few kiddos lose track, so... I finally came up with this graphic organizer template that really helped out A LOT!!! Some of my kiddos who were struggling and struggling were really getting it and actually saying, "Hey this is easy!  And kind of fun!"


I simply free hand wrote the boxes along with little codes (D,M,S, B) for the steps required to get that box's digit.  Then I laminated them quickly during recess and we were ready to go!  The kids used dry erase markers and we solved a few problems.  And, I am happy to say it was so much LESS painful!


You can actually see hints of smiles on kid's faces who had been near tears before recess!

I just made these  Division Games that I can't wait to use after the break!
Divisible Me - A Division Review Game


Don't Duck Division Review Game - Long Division Style


Don't Duck Division Review Game


And If you have made it this far, I am giving away one of the above products of your choice to the first three comments! Just leave your email and the item you would like :)

4 comments:

  1. WoW! I'd love Don't Duck Division Review Game - Long Division Style. Thank you so much!
    Ursula
    ugamler@boyertownasd.org

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your division template!!! I would also love Don't Duck Division Review Game-Long Division Style! Many, many thanks! Annie eveninggrosbeak@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooooh I would love the Divisible Me one! Thank you! They are all great and I will be buying them!

    Raye
    The Caffeinated Teacher
    sunnie1978@gmail.com :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a Louisiana girl so I love the duck stuff!
    :) Erin

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...