Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Listening Center From Donor's Choice and Freebie!



I am on cloud nine! I got my first project funded from Donor's Choice - a listening center.  The items arrived last week and I am loving them!  I have a few students who are very low readers, and they take a lot of my time.  They have a difficult time working independently, and the listening center has changed that!  I set them up with the listening center first thing in the morning which frees me up to meet or conference with other students.  I know that many of you already have listening centers in your classrooms, but I did not have one in the room I have now, and coming from 7th grade math I had no need for one in the past.

Other students have been eyeing the CD/MP3 players and I can't wait to get a few above grade level books such as the Diary of A Wimpy Kid series for them to use and hopefully build their skills as well.




Do you use a listening center in your class?  What do you do with it?


I have this listening center sheet to help hold students accountable for what they are reading  and you can download it here:

Listen to Reading Worksheet

2 comments:

  1. I don't have one:( I really should but I really don't have the space or the equipment.
    Congrats for getting your project funded!!!

    Heather
    The Busy Busy Hive

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had one last year in a grade 2/3 class for my Daily 5 centers. All levels of kids love listening to stories, we generally used online audio books and I had 3 small laptops with splitters (so that multiple students could listen) and headphones that the kiddos used. I had one little girl who was profoundly deaf so I had to track down some videos that had signing as well so that she could "listen" with the others. I really think it helped with fluency and expanding vocab. Congrats on getting yours up and running!
    Tania
    Mrs Poultney's Ponderings

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...